Millions of people world-wide purchased and read the book ‘The Secret’ by Rhonda Byrne.’ The main point of this best-selling self-help book is that the universe is governed by a natural law called ‘The Law of Attraction.’
To put it briefly the law of attraction states: whatever you focus on most will create a frequency and attract back to your life what you are sending out.
The book itself states that it doesn’t matter whether what you are thinking about is positive or negative, the universe sees only that you are focusing on that feeling, emotion or thing and sends you more of it.
With this theory you must consider the way you think, if you are constantly thinking about how you never have enough money, you will attract back the same issue of never having enough money. If instead you were to change your thought pattern and think more about the positive associations attached to the money you do have, you will attract back more positive things.
The theory is simple; whatever you think, you create in your life.
It is the age-old theory that ‘everything happens for a reason‘ and if you haven’t yet, I suggest you read ‘The Secret‘ or one of the many other books about the Law of Attraction. There is an abundance of information available online as well, and is worth the research and review.
Whether you believe in the Law of Attraction or not, the basics are an important part of everyday life. We all know (usually through experience) that negativity breeds negativity.
Positivity is important in all aspects of life for many different reasons. You may not have the desire to attract riches, relationships, or success, fortune and fame, but having a positive attitude, being aware of your thoughts, and being a positive person in general, is a great way to improve your well-being and the overall quality of your life.
What makes positivity so important?
A positive attitude is important for a great many reasons. Having a positive attitude helps you cope more easily with the responsibilities of everyday life and helps to relieve stress and strengthen personal relationships. A positive attitude will help you to avoid worrying unnecessarily and will enhance your physical and mental well-being.
We have all had to deal with a ‘Negative Nelly‘ at one time or another throughout our lives. A Negative Nelly is that person who is always full of complaints and is never satisfied with anything that happens in their life. If you have ever been around a ‘Negative Nelly‘ for an extended period of time you know how draining this type of person can be and effect they can have on your own level of positivity. Negativity is exhausting, it takes a ton of effort and it doesn’t do one bit of good for anyone.
Having a positive attitude is actually quite easy to achieve. It consists mainly of being aware of your thoughts, actions and reactions and making the choice to do what makes you feel good. Even with its simplicity, the benefits of being positive are endless.
Benefits of Positivity:
- A positive attitude helps you to achieve your goals.
- It strengthens personal relationships and makes people more comfortable around you.
- Positivity creates a greater level of happiness and a more fulfilling life.
- Positive thinking and a positive attitude will give you more physical and mental energy.
- Positivity will give you inner strength.
- Being positive will help you inspire others and yourself.
- Positivity helps to lower stress levels and makes difficult situations easier to handle.
- A positive attitude will help you gain the respect of co-workers, friends, family and strangers.
These are only a few of the endless benefits of being positive and having a positive attitude, there are too many to list them all. The truth is that having a positive attitude and living in a positive way can change your entire life. I bet you are wondering exactly how one gains a positive attitude and lives a positive life? The answer is simple, by choice…
How to Be More Positive:
- Make a choice – Happiness is not a place, object, or situation, it is a state of mind and it is a choice you make for yourself.
- See the lessons in every situation – By seeing the bright side of every situation and taking each moment as a lesson learned you will greatly improve your positive outlook and avoid a great deal of stress. There is silver lining in every single cloud, seek it out.
- Look for the little things – Each and every day look for something that will make you smile. There are a million little things in life that will easily put a smile on your face or remind you that you have much to be grateful for. Find a few of these things each day and take the time to appreciate them, even if just for a moment.
- Demolish doubt – Doubt, in any form, is a negative emotion. Erase doubt by keeping faith in yourself, and the world, and by knowing that everything happens for a reason. Each time you catch yourself doubting something turn that doubt into a positive thought and remind yourself that even the worst situations provide a lesson to be learned.
- Practice positivity – Negative thinking is something that is learned over time, it is a bad habit, just like smoking or biting your nails. The only way to truly rid yourself of this habit is to practice and be persistent, you can do this by paying attention to your thoughts, correcting negative reactions, and finding things to be thankful for each day (I will get into this in more detail over time and help you to find ways to harness your positivity on a more conscious level).
- Follow a lead – Role models and mentors are used for many different roles in life. Finding someone to model your career, home, style and family around can be very inspiring and help you to learn a great deal. Find someone positive that you admire and follow their lead. Having a role model or even the support of a positive friend can be helpful in keeping you positive. There is nothing wrong with asking for help and having a good support system is part of living a positive life. It is also important to surround yourself with positive people if you hope to be more positive yourself. I spoke earlier about the ‘Negative Nelly’s’ of the world and how draining they can be, people like this can test (and sometimes even destroy) all of the hard work you have spent moving towards positive living. It is important that you distance yourself from these ‘negative’ type people as much as possible, and if you cannot distance yourself (say they are your partner, parent or child) then you must work hard to learn how to deal with them without becoming negative yourself (again, this is something we will look at more in-depth in future posts).
- Educate yourself – Read, watch and research as much as you can about the benefits of positivity and ways you can incorporate it into your life. The more you know the more likely you are to utilize this knowledge. The internet, the library and even magazines are great sources of information, with the popularity and interest in the Law of Attraction since the release of The Secret articles and information about the benefits of positive living are readily available and easy to access.
- Get inspired – Quotes, Stories and Photos are a great way to inspire yourself to achieve your goals and keep a positive outlook on life. I will be posting some inspiring quotes on this site in the near future, but in the meantime take a moment to seek out things that inspire you and look at them regularly to remind yourself who you want to be, and what you hope to achieve. Inspiration can come in any form and does not have to be a story, photo or quote, perhaps you would be inspired writing your own thoughts, quotes or stories. Maybe a short walk or a relaxing moment in a favorite place is what will inspire you. It doesn’t matter how you get inspired, the main point of finding this inspiration is to help you relax and remember all the good things that life has to offer.
- Associate affirmations – Some people enjoy using affirmations to promote positivity. Affirmations are simply a declaration of something that is true. People use affirmations by speaking them aloud or writing them down and posting them where they will be seen regularly. This helps to remind them of the positive things in their life. Some examples of positive affirmations include; I rejoice in the love I encounter every day, When I believe in myself so do others, I am perfect just the way I am, I am at peace, I trust that everything will be just fine. Some people use affirmations that confirm the goal they are aiming to achieve, and many do this by acting as if they have already achieved this goal. For example: I am the ideal weight for me, I attract only healthy relationships, I am successful in my career, etc… I choose to use generalized affirmations that state facts for the moment or leave room to grow, but it is all about personal preference. Affirmations are a great way to remind yourself what you are aiming to achieve and that which you have already accomplished. They are also useful in pointing out the little positives that are always around us in our lives.
- Master meditation – I am not one to sit down in silence for long periods of time and so meditation comes to me in a different form than some, but I do make a point of taking time to just be. Meditation is about enjoying the silence and letting go of the burdens of the day, you can do this in any place, at any time, in any way you feel comfortable. Research meditation online for useful tips, helpful instructions, or tools that can help you to relax. Otherwise another option is simply just to find a quiet place and let your mind, body and soul relax clearing your mind of any clutter and focusing simply on being at peace.
There are literally hundreds of ways to incorporate positivity into your daily life, and those listed above are just a few simple suggestions. No one is expected to do all of these things, all of the time, but taking the time to do what you can will make a huge difference in your overall level of positivity. As I said before, we will go more in-depth into these things as time goes on, this is just an overview of how simple living a positive life can truly be and how even simple actions on your part can have a huge impact on the world around you. I suggest you do a little research, and of course subscribe here for future posts. If you want to improve your life there is no better way than adopting a positive attitude.
Until Next Time…